Help for International Students

World map The University of South Wales Careers & Employability Service provides a range of support whilst you are studying and on completion of your studies.

This site gives you access to a range of online resources which will help with job search (UK and working abroad), employers, information on applications and CVs, and advice on interviews and assessment tests.

You can also book an appointment with a careers adviser to discuss these and other career related issues.

If it is not possible for you to arrange an appointment at the Careers Service you can use the Email a careers adviser service where information and advice to students can be accessed via email.

Work in the UK during your studies

Your guide to finding a part time job as an international student
Includes advice on finding a part time job.

National Insurance number

You must apply for a National Insurance Number if you would like to work in the UK during or after your studies. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. Gov.UK’s How to apply for a National Insurance Number

Part-time Jobs – Lists a range of resources to help you find part time or temporary employment whilst you study.

Employment Regulations

To find out more about Employment regulations that affect international students please visit the 'UK Council for International Student Affairs’ (UKCISA) website Can you work?

Finding work experience opportunities

Employers want to recruit graduates who have some knowledge of the working world and there is a strong link between having work experience and getting a graduate level job. A period of work experience can provide you with that important insight into a particular job or sector, help expand your network and develop your skills.

View our Work Experience section which covers: finding work placements, how to target employers in your sector or that you want to work for, and volunteering opportunities. In this section you will also be able to find out about the GradEdge Award, an initiative that recognises and endorses the work experience gained.

AGCAS International Students content now on – The AGCAS International Students content is now live on It provides advice to international students on: job hunting in the UK; visas and work permits for working in the UK; getting work experience; and seeking work outside the UK.

Work in the UK after your studies

To search for graduate vacancies go to the Job Searching section of the Careers & Employability Service website. Bear in mind that many of the large graduate employers in the UK start their recruitment process well in advance. The majority have closing dates for applications usually between October and January of each year for graduate jobs or schemes which start in the summer or autumn after graduation. This means that you will need to start searching and applying for jobs at the beginning of the final year of your course if you are an undergraduate. If you are on a Masters course starting in September/October you will need to apply almost at the start of your studies. Some companies have later closing dates for applications from March onwards or have ongoing recruitment throughout the year. Smaller or medium sized employers are more likely to recruit as and when vacancies arise and it would be useful to target these type of vacancies nearer the time that you graduate.

Applying for Jobs and Placements

Many of the large employers will require completion of an on-line application. Other employers will require you to submit a CV and covering letter. Whether you apply via application or CV you need to ensure you research the company beforehand – at the very least you should view the employer’s website particularly their career section, You also need to be clear about your motivations, and why you are interested in that role, organisation or sector. Lastly you need to provide evidence of your suitability showing how you match the selection criteria. Read information on the job or placement which can be found on the company website or in the job description and person specification. The Careers & Employability Service will be able to support you in this process.

If you are successful in your initial application the next step of the recruitment process may be a telephone interview, participation in an assessment centre and/or a ‘face to face’ interview, Assessment centres normally include a variety of tasks or exercise both individual and group based. Tasks can include psychometric tests, group discussion and presentations. Within the application and interview process, employers commonly ask competency related questions where you are asked to give examples of situations where you have used competencies or skills that are important to the recruiter. Examples of such competencies include: teamwork, communication, problem solving, using initiative and customer service.

AGCAS International Students content now on – The AGCAS International Students content is now live on It provides advice to international students on: job hunting in the UK; visas and work permits for working in the UK; getting work experience; and seeking work outside the UK.

Identifying UK employers who may offer opportunities for international students

The USW Careers & Employability Service cannot produce a list of employers who will accept applications from international students and graduates but we do provide advice on possible ways of identifying and targeting such employers.

Some graduate jobs based in the UK are open to all suitably qualified applicants regardless of nationality. Other vacancies target specific groups of international students for work in overseas job markets. In addition, some companies may want to recruit international students because they want to expand or develop their international trade links. The British Chambers of Commerce can often be a good source to help you identify such companies. Also look at the emerging market trends in your home country and identify UK employers who may have trade links, offices or branches in your home country or overseas.

Some UK employers are prepared to consider applications from international students and graduates especially if the work is in a shortage field as defined by the UK Government. The UK Visas and Immigration holds a list occupational shortage areas in the UK

Working regulations after studies

Tier 2 sponsors – Employers will require a Tier 2 licence which they will need to apply for. A list of employers who currently hold this licence is available on the UK Border Agency website. View UK Visas and Immigration register of sponsors

This work permit will enable international graduates to work initially for one year, if the employer wants to keep them on after that period they can extend their employment for a further 5 years. They must be earning a salary of £20,800 pa minimum for a job to qualify under Tier 2.

Immigration & International Student Advice offers information and advice to International Students on Working in the UK after your studies including an Overview of working visas

UK language related jobs sites

If you are particularly interested in using your language skills please view some examples of UK language related jobs sites:

Top Language Jobs
Multi lingual vacancies
1st 4 Jobs in London
The Language Business

Explaining international qualifications to employers

Not all employers will understand how your qualifications compare with UK ones. There is no official list of how UK grades or tariff points compare with other countries’ qualifications so it is not possible to convert your grades into UCAS points. However, you can get a general comparison of your qualification with UK qualifications from the National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the UK. Visit NARIC for information on services and costs. You can also contact them about qualification comparisons by telephone: +44 (0)871 330 7033

If an employer asks for UCAS points, list your actual qualifications and grades. Explain your grade in context. For example, if you were awarded a grade 1 and this was the top grade in a scale of 1-5 indicate this, alternatively give a % score. If you are completing an online application contact the employer to get their advice or use the 'note’ or 'additional information’ section to explain. UCAS also provides a Qualifications Hotline telephone: 0871 468 0472 (or 0044 871 468 0472 from outside the UK) or

For job search in your home country

For international job opportunities view Working Abroad

For country-specific job search information visit the Working Abroad – Useful Links page

Global Career Company – An international recruitment consultancy that specialises in recruiting internationally-based candidates from Africa, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Central & Eastern Europe into jobs within their home countries.

GradLink UK is a specialist careers website designed for UK-educated students and graduates from China, Africa, India and Malaysia. The website includes vacancies, graduate profiles, employer contacts, and in-depth advice.

Immigration & International Student Advice

Immigration & International Student Advice offers information and advice to International Students on a range of non-academic issues such as immigration, finance, health and daily life in the UK. See in particular Working in the UK during your studies and Working in the UK after your studies

Share this page?